What does the local club do?
- We support international service projects of Zonta International through the United Nations. Currently these projects include LIBERIA FISTULA PROGRAM to repair injuries caused to mothers during the birthing process and the ELIMINATION of NEW PEDIATRIC HIV INFECTION and PROTECTION and RESPONSE to SURVIVORS of DOMESTIC and GENDER BASED VIOLENCE in Rwanda. We are currently involved in an advocacy program titled ZONTA SAYS NO: a campaign to end domestic violence against women. During this biennium, more than 2 million dollars will be spent by Zonta to advance the status of women internationally.
- We organize the annual Christmas House as our major fundraiser.
- We volunteer in pairs monthly to visit the Port Girls Home where Zonta members share personal and professional experiences and a craft with the young women who live there.
- We have participated in other community activities whose purpose is advancing the status of women, such as Walking a Mile in Her Shoes, Brainerd/Baxter Memorial to Minnesota Victims of Violence Vigil, “Zonta 16 Days of Activism” - display anti-sexual violence posters at Brainerd High School and CLC, The Women’s Center.
- We volunteer our services or donate money to those causes meeting the goals of Zonta.
- We sometimes just socialize. During club socials we really get to know each other and build the bonds making the Brainerd Zonta Club dynamic.
Organizations supported by the Zonta Club of Brainerd:
- Central Lakes College Scholarships
- Brainerd High School Scholarships
- PORT Girls Home
- Mid-MN Women’s Center
- Alex and Brandon House
- Sexual Assault Program
Zonta International Organizations
- Rose Fund
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship
- Young Women in Public Affairs
- Zonta International Foundation Fund
- Other Projects – Project Haiti